History of the Blue Mountain Power Co-op
The rural electrification associations have played an important role in developing power in the province of Alberta.
Prior to 1950 rural residents in Alberta needed electricity for their farms and ranches. The major utilities held the view that farms and ranches used such a small amount of electricity, it would not be economically viable for them to supply power to the rural residents.
1950 - Farmers and Ranchers, being the independent people they are, formed Rural Electrification Associations to bring electricity to the countryside. With some help from the provincial government, sweat, equity, and very little cash, the REA built the lines; and the lights in rural Alberta slowly came on. It was a heroic effort by our parents and grandparents that has given us the luxury that electricity affords us today.
1952 - Lockhart REA was formed January 1952; Blue Mountain Power Co-op followed closely thereafter getting started April 1952. Both REA's were operated by the Utility of the day which was Calgary Power and and later changed to Trans Alta.
1993 - In 1993 Blue Mountain Power Co-op moved a step closer to independence by negotiating what was known as the '93 contracts.
1999 - Lockhart stayed with the utility company until June 7 1999. Then they amalgamated with Blue Mountain Power Co-op, a process lasting almost a year. Weighing the pros and cons, Rocky and Lockhart decided it was in the best interests of both REA's to amalgamate. The New Blue Mountain Power Co-op was formed, giving a combined membership of 2440 members.
2006 - In January of 2006, Horseguard REA also amalgamated with Blue Mountain Power Co-op. Our member service now totals in excess of 3600 sites.